Michael Schwartz Library
Virtual Reference Desk: Cleveland Area Resources
(For information on Cleveland's neighborhoods, see Neighborhood Links)
Directories (links to local businesses, educational institutions, entertainment sites, etc.)
- Cleveland.com (local news and entertainment)
- Cleveland Search
- Cleveland211 First Call for Help (serving Cuyahoga, Geauga and Medina Counties)
- Neighborhood Organizations and Services Directory
- The Cleveland Digital Library (gateway to digital resources about the history of Cleveland; seeks to link to all eligible local history sites)
- The Cleveland Memory Project (virtual Cleveland history: images, text, maps, and more about the history of Cleveland)
- Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
- Akron Beacon Journal
- News Herald
- Cleveland News Index/Necrology File (Plain Dealer and Cleveland Magazine index)
- Cleveland Scene
- Crain's Now: The Online Home of Crain's Cleveland Business (local business)
- Daily Legal News (source of Cleveland legal and business information)
- Lexis-Nexis Academic (to limit search to Cleveland Plain Dealer, go to General News Topics, type in your topic and type plain dealer in the Additional Terms box)
- The Plain Dealer (selected articles)
- Plain Dealer Historical (1845-1991) - requires Cleveland Public Library card to access.
- Sun Newspapers (local suburban)
Other Local Resources
- City Council (City Council directory and ward maps)
- City of Cleveland Home Page
- City Planning Commission
- Cleveland Cartography (historical and contemporary maps)
- Cleveland Metroparks
- Cleveland Museums
- Cuyahoga County, Ohio
- Greater Cleveland Partnership (formerly Greater Cleveland Growth Association)
- Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
- NeighborhoodLink (directory, statistical and governmental information about Cleveland neighborhoods)
- Northeast Ohio Coordinating Agency (NOACA)
Cleveland Census Information
- Cleveland City Planning Commission
- Neighborhood Fact Sheets (2014): The City Planning Commission combines Census Tracts into Statistical Planning Areas (SPA). Each SPA is equivalent to a traditional neighborhood. A neighborhood Fact Sheet compiles some basic demographic information for a certain neighborhood. PDF format.
- 2000 Neighborhood Fact Sheets
- Summary File: 2000 Census database for Cleveland searchable at the citywide, ward, planning district, neighborhood, census tract, block group, & block levels.
- Census Maps: Interactive maps showing neighborhoods (SPAs) down to the street level. Wards, census tracts & various features can be layered on.
- Cleveland Quick Facts (Census.gov): Provides statistics for all states and counties, and for cities and towns with a population of 5,000 or more.
- NEO CANDO (Center on Urban Poverty & Social Change, CWRU)
Users must apply for a free account to access some information on this site.
- NEO CANDO 2010: NEO CANDO, Northeast Ohio Community and Neighborhood Data for Organizing, is a free and publicly accessible social and economic data system of the Center on Urban Poverty and Community Development, a research institute housed at Case Western Reserve University's Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences. NEO CANDO allows users to access data for the entire 17 county Northeast Ohio region, or for specific neighborhoods within the region.
- NEO CANDO Historical: The previous version of NEO CANDO is based on geographies defined by the 2000 Census and incorporates social and economic, crime, and property data. NEO CANDO historical data will continue to have data in Census 2000 geographies, and currently provides information from more data sources than NEO CANDO 2010+.
- NEO CANDO Reference Maps and Geographic Information: For Cleveland, Cuyahoga County and surrounding Counties.
- NODIS (Northern Ohio Data & Information Service)
NODIS is part of the Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs, Cleveland State University. NODIS is designated by the State of Ohio and the U.S. Bureau of the Census as the regional data center for northern Ohio.
- Census 2010: The reports and maps listed are based upon 2010 census data provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. Excel files of census data for specified groups and areas. Includes maps that delineate Census geography [wards, census tracts] and maps that illustrate census data for population and various social & economic factors.
- Current Estimates: Population estimates for local areas since the 2000 census. Estimates are from from the Ohio Department of Development and the U.S. Census Bureau.
- Projections: Future population projections for local areas.
- City of Cleveland Home Page: From this page you can link out to various departments to get statistical information on topics such as Health Statistics or Police Crime Statistics.
- City of Cleveland Department of Economic Development - Cleveland Data and Reports: Provides detailed information about the City of Cleveland as well as access to demographics and other business information about the area such as the cost of doing business and the quality workforce and educational institutions available.
- Cleveland Metropolitan School District: General statistics on student population. See also: Cleveland Municipal School District Report Card.
- Data Central - Cleveland Ohio Statistics, Demographics & Census: From Cleveland.com