Michael Schwartz Library
Rules of Conduct for Using the Library
Cleveland State University Michael Schwartz Library pledges to provide an atmosphere conducive to study, reading, and the legitimate use of library materials and services. To foster this environment, it is necessary that all users and library employees act in a manner that is considerate of others.
- Any behavior or condition that disrupts the orderly use of the Library, that could constitute harassment, or that affects the staff’s ability to provide service, is prohibited and will be handled by the appropriate enforcement authority.
- The Michael Schwartz Library reserves the right to ask library users to provide student I.D. or other identification, and upon request library users will be expected to comply. Refusal to comply with this request may result in a referral to the Campus police. The Student Conduct Code outlines expectations for students as well as the process to be followed should violations occur. Community users who violate these rules will be referred to the appropriate enforcement authority.
- Smoking is not permitted in the Library.
- Eating in the Library is permitted when it does not offend others or put library materials or equipment at risk of damage. Eating is not allowed near computers or in the book stacks. Drinks are allowed in covered containers only but not near computers or book stacks. Eating and drinking are not allowed in Special Collections, the Poetry Room, and other posted areas.
- The use of cellular phones and other personal devices must be, in the judgment of Library staff, used discreetly and are prohibited in areas where they disrupt library use, especially on the second floor—a silent zone.
- Disruptive behaviors, such as loitering, blocking access, making disruptive noises, using or being under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances, using abusive language, and threatening or harassing others are also prohibited.
- Individuals may not extensively use library facilities without demonstrating engagement in research or study.
- Misuse of library furnishings, materials, or equipment will not be tolerated.
- Any use of another individual’s I.D. to fraudulently access the Library’s computers is strictly forbidden and will be reported to CSU police and may result in immediate suspension of all library privileges.
- When visiting the Library, shirts, blouses, shoes, and other appropriate attire must be worn. Persons who violate these rules may be removed from the Library or referred to the Office of Judicial Affairs.
- Anyone who intentionally defaces, damages, or illegally removes library materials is subject to criminal prosecution under Ohio law. This also includes damage to equipment and any type of alterations to library computer equipment, programs, or multimedia.
- All users, both student and general public, will be expected to comply with Cleveland State University's policy on "Responsible Use of University Computing Resources."
- The Library’s general computers (PCs) are provided to the CSU community for the primary purpose of accessing the Library’s resources in pursuit of CSU’s educational objectives and programs. All other uses are secondary and users engaged in secondary activities may be asked to exit the program and leave the general area.
- Users of the Library's general computers may not send, receive, or display text or graphics that may be construed as obscene under Section 2907.32 of the Ohio Revised Code. Using images, including computer images, to harass other users or library employees, especially after a request to stop has been made, may constitute sexual harassment and will be handled by the appropriate enforcement authority. Child pornography is not protected under the first amendment. Any user accessing child pornography will be asked to exit the computer program and will be reported to proper law enforcement authorities.
- The Library is not responsible for lost or stolen personal articles. Belongings should not be left unattended.
- Children are not to be left unattended in the Library. Parents, guardians and/or the accompanying adult will be held responsible for the child's behavior and actions and any resulting damages.
- The only animals that may be brought into the Library are service animals.
- Borrowing privileges or other library services may be limited or denied to any user who has abused or misused library privileges or violated any rules of conduct herein.
- Use of some library facilities is restricted to members of Cleveland State University community.
Adherence to these rules of good conduct will assist in providing a pleasant atmosphere for library use.
Finalized 04/06/10 (library council)
Revised: 07/22/08 (library council)